Srimad Bhagavatam Canto 1 Chapter 2
Suta Gosvami, fully satisfied, thanked the sages of Naimisaranya for their perfect questions. He offered his obeisances to Srila Sukhadeva Gosvami by remembering the incident of his leaving home. Suta Gosvami explained that Sukhadeva Gosvami being compassionate on materialists spoke the most confidential cream of Vedic knowledge after realising it. Suta Gosvami offered respects to Nara-Narayana Rsi, Mother Saraswati and Srila Vyasadeva before reciting Srimad Bhagavatam to the sages. Suta Gosvami acclaimed the six questions as completely satisfying the self and is for the welfare of the world as they were related to Lord Krishna.
Suta Gosvami further expounded the following in response
- Supreme occupation for everyone is to attain to loving devotional service unto the transcendent Lord.
- Only unmotivated and uninterrupted devotional service can completely satisfy the self, immediately acquires causeless knowledge and develops detachment from the world.
- The occupational activities should not be performed for material gain as they are ultimately meant for liberation and to provoke attraction for the message of Lord Krishna otherwise they are nothing but useless labour. All great sages proclaim that material gains and life’s desires should never be used to cultivate sense gratification.
- The only goal of human life is the inquiry about the Absolute Truth, which is understood in three different aspects namely Brahman, Paramātmā or Bhagavān.
- Devotional service is the foreground of full knowledge combined with the detachment from material association, which is fixed up by an aural reception of the Vedanta Sruti, is the only perfect method by which a seriously inquisitive student can realise Absolute Truth.
- The highest perfection of discharging occupational duties is to please the Personality of Godhead. Therefore, with one-pointed attention, one should constantly hear, glorify, remember and worship the Personality of Godhead, who is the protector of the devotees.
- The remembrance of the Personality of Godhead cuts through the reactionary knots of binding karma. Therefore, one should always contemplate on His messages and by serving pure devotees one gains affinity for hearing the messages of Vāsudeva.
- Lord Sri Krishna is the benefactor of all devotees and cleanses desire for material enjoyment from the heart of the devotee who has developed the urge to hear His messages.
- By hearing Srimad Bhagavatam daily and rendering service to pure devotee, anxiety in the heart is completely destroyed, and loving service unto the Personality of Godhead is established as an irrevocable fact, which cleanses the heart from the effects of modes of passion and ignorance, such as lust, desire and hankering. Then the devotee is established in unalloyed goodness, and he becomes completely happy and enlivened by contact with devotional service to the Lord and thus acquires positive scientific knowledge of the Personality of Godhead free from all material association.
- Thus the knot in the heart is pierced, and all misgivings are cut to pieces. The chain of fruitive actions is terminated when one sees the self as master. Certainly, therefore, since time immemorial, all transcendentalists have been rendering devotional service to Lord Kṛṣṇa, the Personality of Godhead, with great delight, because such devotional service is enlivening to the self.
- The transcendental Personality of Godhead indirectly accepts three qualitative forms of Brahma, Visnu and Siva. Ultimate benefit is achieved from Visnu, the form of quality of goodness. Firewood is compared to ignorance, better than which is smoke or passion, better than that is fire or goodness by which one can realise the Absolute Truth.
- The ultimate benefit is to become free from material conditions of life, which the great sages have achieved by worshiping the Supreme Lord, who is transcendental to the three modes. Anyone who similarly follows great authorities is also eligible for liberation.
- Although, the devotees of the Lord are non-envious and respect everyone, they reject the worship of the material forms of the demigods and only worship the all-blissful forms of Lord Visnu and His plenary portions. People in the modes of passion and ignorance worship the forefathers, other living beings and the demigods to fulfil material desire like women, wealth, power and progeny.
- In the revealed scriptures, the ultimate object of knowledge is Śrī Kṛṣṇa, the Personality of Godhead. The purpose of performing sacrifice is to please Him. Yoga is for realising Him. All fruitive activities are ultimately rewarded by Him only. He is supreme knowledge, and all severe austerities are performed to know Him. Religion [dharma] is rendering loving service unto Him. He is the supreme goal of life.
- The transcendental Personality, Vasudeva expands into purusa avatara in order to maintain the material world. Although he is within the material modes he remains fully enlightened in His transcendental position. The Lord, as Supersoul, pervades all things, just as fire permeates wood, and so He appears to be of many varieties, though He is the absolute one without a second.
- The Supersoul enters into bodies of every living entity and causes them to enjoy the effects of these modes by the subtle mind. Thus the Lord maintains all planets inhabited by demigods, men and lower animals. Assuming the roles of incarnations, He performs pastimes to reclaim those in the mode of pure goodness.